Leave Dates can automatically calculate the unused leave allowance of the previous year and carry it forwards into next year.
To do this, there must be a carry over policy in place for the allowance.
Setting up a carry over policy
- Go to the Settings > Allowances page
- Click on the Allowance you wish to carry over.
- A popup will appear which lists the policies currently active on the allowance.
- If there is already a policy labelled 'CARRY OVER' then click on it to check the properties of the policy.
- If there is not a policy labelled 'CARRY OVER' then click Add new policy
Adding a new policy
- A form will appear, as shown above.
- Provide a policy Name (eg. Carry over)
- Select the Policy type "Carry over unused allowance". Boxes will appear for the "Maximum carry over" and "Expires after".
- Maximum carry over is the maximum number of days a staff member is allowed to carry over. If you use hourly allowances, just provide the number of days and the system will convert it to hours based on the Hours per working day set up against each employee.
- Expires After is the number of days or months in which the employee must take the days carried over. If the carry over days are not taken in this period then any remaining will be lost. Select "Never Expire" from the dropdown to disable this functionality.
- Press Add to save the new policy
Removing any other carry over policies
It is only possible to have one of the "Carry over unused allowance" policy types for an allowance, but companies who configured Leave Dates before this policy was available could have a policy which was used to store manually calculated carry over. Be careful removing these policies.
When you remove a policy from an allowance, it deletes allowances stored against it for current and future years. Therefore, to avoid impacting current allowances, only delete the policy once the year has ended and you no longer need the policy.
In the meantime, set all future carry over allowances (of the policy you plan to remove) to zero, either manually or using the data import tool for allowances.
Managing the carry over process
The following occurs when a carry over policy is in place:
- The remaining allowance of the previous leave year is calculated. This is called the "carry over".
- If there is a maximum limit of allowed carry over, this is applied.
- The carry over is added to next year's allowance.
- The carry over is deducted from the previous year.
- If the expiry period of the allowance policy has passed then any untaken carry over is deducted.
Admin users can manually run the carry over process for employees before or after the leave year starts. The steps to do this are described in the Assigning Allowances to Employees article.