Some companies choose to begin the annual leave year on the date that the employee starts at the company. The benefits of this are that there are no difficult calculations when it comes to accruals, and it can avoid the situation where all your employees are trying to use up their remaining allowances at the same time of year.
In Leave Dates it is possible for employees to use a different start date for their leave year compared to the standard company leave year.
Setting up employee leave years
Here are the steps to configure an employee with a leave year which starts on a different date to the company leave year:
- Check that the company is set up with an annual leave year starting on the 1st January. Check this in the Settings > Calendars page.
- Go to the Settings > Employees page and click on the employee you want to set up.
- In the PROFILE tab, enter the employee start date, and then tick the 'Align leave year to start date' box.
- A prompt as shown below will ask you to confirm this. Click Yes.
- Click Save Profile
In the My Leave page, the new leave year will be shown for this employee.
- Admin users still need to create new calendars for each year. These will then create the leave allowance years for employees using this functionality. For example, if the calendar runs from 1st Jan 2019 to 31st December 2019 and your employment start date is 5th June 2010, then your first allowance period will be 5th June 2018 - 4th June 2019. To create a second allowance period for 5th June 2019 - 4th June 2020 just add a new calendar.
- You also still need to configure your leave allowances using the normal process.